Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars 2008 - Live Blog Part 1: The Red Carpet, Pro Sieben

Ok, everyone who was going to join me for my big Oscar-viewing night is either overseas or has to work on Monday morning (crazy, I know!).

So, my trying - not - to - fall - asleep tactic will be live-blogging. Not very original, but oh well. It's 1.20am, originality is not the number one priority here.

I'm catching the telecast on ProSieben and unfortunately they've gone back to having their own correspondent at the red carpet. It's not as embarrassing as it has been in previous years, but it's still kinda cringeworthy, so I think I may skip the details. Or not. Just go with the flow with me here.

Anne Hathaway's cute, dark red dress with roses. Is it still Valentine's Day? And oh no, he's trying to interview a 13year-old nominee (Saoirse Ronan, apparently pronounced "Sasha", nominated for Best Supporting Actress for "Atonement"). Poor thing. She wants to meet Daniel Day-Lewis. I don't. Dude's creepy.

Oh God, German dude's commenting on a Fox correspondant's sexy back. Literally. Dude, you don't have to fill those awkward silences when you're waiting for the next star to interview. Steve Carrell! He brought a fan (not an admirer of his work, but a battery-powered little fan). Cause it's hot in the plastic tent, which is better than rain but worse than air. All righty (plastic tent? Where?). Is Jon Stewart going to do something crazy? Steve thinks he'll improvise and that he'll shine. Also, he's a really good guy. Shocking.

George Clooney! No interview, but he's pretty. Unfortunately so is the lady on his arm. Jennifer Garner is also pretty. Ooooh, looks like there may be a Clooney-interview after all. German dude shares that they like to call him Mr. Cool (who are "they"?). And that he wants to propose to Clooney's girlfriend. Dude, remember what I tried to tell you about filling those silences? Don't.

German Dude (from now on only "GD") spots Patrick Dempsey and takes the opportunity to promote Grey's Anatomy, which incidentally airs on ProSieben.

GD tells Clooney that he's the coolest guy in Hollywood. His date looks bored. Clooney talks about his mood when hearing about the nomination (he was in Darfur) and about his state of mind while shooting several of his films. Blahblahblah. He's pretty though, maybe I should just mute the interview?

John Travolta. Go, Scientology! Thank God he and Kelly Preston don't smile as creepily as TomKat yet. They did a movie together. Must-see, I'm sure...

Patrick Dempsey. Beautiful wife. GD points out, that Dempsey lost out on Sexiest Man Alive to Clooney. Poor Dempsey is now stuck talking about Clooney and his achievements. Then he gets to talk about Enchanted. GD thinks it's "a great movie". He thinks all his interview partners' movies are "a great movie".

GD now interviews Jason Reitman, director of Juno. His dad's there, too. Apparently a director himself. Juno's great, by the way. Eventhough it's on the list of Stuff White People Like. A lot of things I like are on that list. Then again, I am indeed white. I don't know anything 'bout Mos Def though.

Helen Mirren. I really really want to look as good as her when I'm her age. She looks so much better than most of the starlets who are a third of her age.

Ruby Dee, nominated as Best Supporting Actress for American Gangster. GD points out that she's old. Thankfully, not to her. She talks about the movie. She's hard to follow. Something about the hardships of black people.

Pregnant Jessica Alba. She thinks it's hard to pronounce German names (she had to present the technical Oscars and a lot of Germans won). She says it was fun.

Alan Arkin. He's not relaxed. He thinks the red carpet is not a relaxing situation. GD says it will be fun inside, though. Alan threatens to cut the interview short and go inside, then.

Julian Schnabel. He paints and he directs. Painting is like breathing. Directing is like translating. I think he was smoking something in the limo on the way over. Can't say I blame him. Probably makes it easier to deal with GD.

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. I have no idea. He is German. And he has a long name. Jessica Alba may have had a point.

Musicians. Nominated for the Enchanted songs. They think their three nominations will cancel each other out. They're probably right.

Tilda Swinton thought it was easy to play someone really mean in Michael Clayton.

No comments: