Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Writers In The US Want Me To Get A Life

As of yesterday, television and movie script writers who are members of the Writer's Guild Association are on strike. They are looking to be compensated for all profits made via the Internet and DVD sales. Last time they were on strike was some 20 years ago, when they were demanding to participate in the sales of video tapes (VHS and VCR). The strike could go on for several months and effectively end this year's tv season by the end of the year or early next year, since no new scripts for the remaining episodes will be available.

Scripted daily talk shows such as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are already off the air and have been replaced with re-runs.

If you speak German, serienjunkies.de has a good overview of how the strike affects specific shows, what exactly the writers are demanding, etc.

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Gahh! What if ER finishes early? I'll be devastated!

Mrs Z said...

Aaaargh, this ruined my day! What am I supposed to do each evening without my beloved online episodes (please don't tell me the answer is studying)??? I HAVE a life (or at least that's what I want myself to believe)! A fulfilling one! Now give me back my freakin' TV shows!!!